Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Mind Your Language.

Swearing. Cursing. Bad language.
Call it what you want. We accept it on TV, in movies and in print.
What about radio?
I asked radio people online for their views on cursing on air because, depending on how you listen (satellite for example) chances are you're starting to hear 'F Bombs' more frequently.
In Ireland, the first person I heard utter the words 'shit and 'bollox' was the late Gerry Ryan on 2FM. It really took me by surprise and I wasn't sure how I felt about it.
I recall saying 'Damn' on CKLG in Vancouver back in '91 and my PD pointing out that it was a 'no-no'.
Damn!
OK, some stations, formats and markets have zero tolerance for swearing, but if you listen to podcasts or subscribe to the likes of SiriusXM, you will be unable to avoid it. Eventually.

So where do you stand on this?
Is it just done for effect? Is it lazy? Is it real? Is it honest?

Tony Robbins curses during his live seminars because "it snaps you out of your state".
During my live workshops I consciously avoided swearing...at first. Then I realised that by doing that, I was holding back.
I'm Irish. We swear! At first it felt weird...I didn't want to offend anyone. Now when I swear on a public setting like these, it's honest. Therefore I feel my performance is more honest.

Swear words are immensely powerful.
They pack a heavyweight punch.
Due to radio's personal nature, you need to know your relationship with your listener first.
Are you their pal, confidante, uncle, mother, brother, partner...?
No one wants their older uncle throwing four letter hand grenades at them!
Your swear words WILL be heard and you WILL be judged on them.

The secret, as with everything we do, is knowing how/where/why and when to use it.
Also predict and handle the reaction...creatively.
Otherwise, what's the f**king point??

No comments:

Post a Comment