Wednesday, April 12, 2017

That Takes the Biscuit.

Overheard on the radio this week...Three links, all centred around - Biscuits.
That's right. Biscuits.
Now, I have nothing against biscuits. I enjoy them. Who doesn't like a decent biscuit?
(Here's the however bit...)
Three links about biscuits!

Link 1: "What's your favourite biscuit"? Other wise known as the 'I have no prep' link.
Link 2: "What biscuit should I have with my tea today"?
Link 3: "If you were a biscuit, what biscuit would you be"?

I understand where the whole 'biscuit' element comes from. Listeners like biscuits, we like biscuits, therefore we are the same. We live the same lives as them and are therefore relatable.
Nice thinking.
However...let's get back to what radio is all about for a moment.
Radio presentation is one person speaking to another person. That's it.
The art is in making it appear natural.
I have NEVER met a person in my (non radio) life who asked me if I were a biscuit, what biscuit would I be?
Imagine your friend saying that to you.

The problem from a listener stand point is that is just sounds like you are trying too hard to provoke a response.
And trying too hard is needy.
Needy is not attractive.
You know that needy friend you have? Yeah, that one - the one you try to avoid because they're too NEEDY!?!
If you are going for interraction on air, make it less obvious.
Ask real questions.

How far can you go with the 'What biscuit would you be' bit anyway?
"Text here says Bourbon Cream...another says Chocolate Digestive...here's one for Jaffa Cakes...hmm, is that a biscuit or a cake....that's a debate for another day".
No. It's not.

Listeners are so savvy these days. They know when you are 'working' them and they don't like it.
The fact that I heard three random links all centred around biscuits in the past week leads me to think that *maybe* it's reached it's peak.
It's the Fonz on water skis.

Let's try something a bit more creative.
Like..."What's Your favourite Colour"?
Oh, been done already? ;)

And don't link with your mouth full ;)

5 comments:

  1. I didn't hear this chat but I can guess it was not on tomorrow Fm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't hear this chat but I can guess it was not on tomorrow Fm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the nerdy reference. Just think before opening your mouth would you ask that question in real life to a friend. By the way mine is chocolate digestives!

    ReplyDelete