Friday, October 28, 2016

Where Are The Opportunites?



Genuine question: If you are starting out in radio as a presenter...where do you get your experience?

I ask this because I posted a quote on my facebook page yesterday from a PD in California who puts her new talent on the midnight-3am shift. Then airchecks once a week.  Simple idea. Unfortunately very few stations still nurture like that.

So, if you are new - where do you go?
Community radio? College radio? Pirates?
So many stations automate evenings from 7pm, all weekend in some cases, even weekday blocks. The opportunities for live experince are less now than ever.

How, then, are you getting feedback?
Is there someone helping you find your way while teaching you how it really is inside the studio?
Studying radio and doing radio are two completely different animals. Nothing wrong with studying it (some courses like the Radio Kerry one in Ireland are really good) but it's like learning to drive - once you pass the test, you develop your style!

So, again - legit question: Where do you go to learn real world radio?

6 comments:

  1. Interesting....I started out as an overnight announcer over 10 years ago. Now I run a radio show prep service and I put the call out for guest producers and guest announcers for my Podcast with colleges and professors, unfortunately no one wants to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you send me a link to your show prep service? I'm always asked for prep information. Thanks! Nails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you send me a link to your show prep service? I'm always asked for prep information. Thanks! Nails.

    ReplyDelete