Tuesday, November 15, 2016

PD's New Pal ?

I received an email this week from a presenter who was having trouble finding a gig.
Audio sounded fine, CV was nice.
So what was the problem? I couldn't figure it out.
"Send me over your cover letter" I wrote.
Problem solved!

The cover letter was written in the style of a wannabe stand up comedian.
Lots of LOL's, Ha Ha's and attempts at humour.
Example being: "Hope you enjoy the audio...more than some of my listeners in the past Ha Ha".
Seriously?

Here's the deal: An accountant applying for a job won't write in a cover letter - "Here's a sample of my work...hope I balance the books for you and don't lose the company lots of money LOL".
Or an airline pilot won't write: "The last company I worked for were very impressed with my loop the loop skills Ha Ha".

That's because they are professionals.

The PD (or whoever you send your audio to) is not looking for a new pal. He/she is looking for a professional who they believe will create memorable radio and increase ratings. That way everyone gets to eat.
The demo will showcase your humour. The Cover letter is the business end.
Treat yourself with the respect you would like to receive and you will receive it.

It's easy to dismiss a clown.

No comments:

Post a Comment