Monday, November 7, 2016

RIP Sir Jimmy Young.


We all have people we credit with getting us interested in radio. It might be a person we know who encouraged us to listen to some show or other, or you may have listened for music and stayed because you liked the host.
When I was a very young lad - before I even appreciated Radio Luxembourg - I knew about Jimmy Young.
As a family, we travelled to Liverpool a lot to visit relatives. I used to think we were actually FROM Merseyside ;)
I have memories of sitting in a kitchen, the transistor radio on and rushing over to turn up the volume as Jimmy Young and Terry Wogan slagged eachother, joked around and generally had fun as one took over from the other.
There was nothing quite like it on Irish radio. It was cheeky, funny, irreverent and sounded completely off the cuff. A far cry from the staid, straight back RTE offerings.
I loved it. They made me laugh.

Earlier this year we lost Sir Terry. Now he has been joined by his pal. Maybe they're having a good old laugh again. 
I learned it's possible to entertain and try to be funny and cheeky while maintaining your class and style, from Jimmy Young.
I owe him.
Big time. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember that gem of radio as well, I too as inspired by their interaction.

    ReplyDelete