Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Z100 for the first time.

When I was a kid...(no, it's not a 'Good Old Days' post) whenever I, or one of my friends, went away somewhere we always brought back some tape of local radio.
Especially from the States.

I remember one time a pal of mine arriving home from a trip and handing me three cassettes full of radio from Boston, Hartford and....New York!!!  I spent hours listening to the presenters (the 'DJs'), the imaging, the callers...everything. Mind blown before 'mind blown' became a thing. This really was the only way to hear US radio - you had to literally travel there. 

Now, with a little bit of  streaming creativity, you can listen to pretty much any station you want. Anywhere.
One thing you notice now is how inter-changeable stations have become. That CHR in New Orleans is the same as the one in Phoenix as the one in Boise. Big corporations buying up and playing safe etc. 
Once again, the main difference at any station is the presenter. The presenter is the real voice of the radio station. That's why I still get excited when I hear something new and fresh. It's like listening to Z100 for the very first time.

What gets you excited about radio?
What gives you that 'mind blown' feeling?
If you can figure that out and draw on that emotion, it will help you as you become the presenter you know you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment